In February, Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite made historical past as the primary foreign-language movie to win Finest Image at this yr’s Academy Awards. Now the movie is getting a Criterion Assortment launch, which incorporates a heap of extras, together with a dialog between director Bong and critic Darcy Paquet. On this unique clip from that complement, Bong discusses his storyboarding course of and the way the now-iconic Park home got here collectively.
The home owned by the wealthy Park household is a key construction within the movie, as its lavishness simply signifies the disparity between the Parks and the Kim relations who come to work for them. The construction is so outstanding that it even bought its personal function in Architectural Digest, not least as a result of it was a totally constructed set, not an actual home. (Bong notes later within the dialog that even Alejandro González Iñárritu, who was on the Cannes jury that awarded Parasite the Palme d’Or, had been fooled into considering it was an present construction.) Within the dialog, Bong notes that, with the intention to assist put together for capturing, the crew had constructed a digital model of the home that may very well be navigated “sort of like an RPG recreation.”
The Criterion launch of Parasite additionally consists of the black-and-white model of the movie, with a brand new introduction from director Bong, in addition to the next different dietary supplements:
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New 4K digital grasp, accepted by director Bong Joon Ho and director of images Hong Kyung Pyo, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New audio commentary that includes Bong and critic Tony Rayns
• Black-and-white model of the movie with a brand new introduction by Bong, and Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New dialog between Bong and critic Darcy Paquet
• New interviews with Hong, manufacturing designer Lee Ha Jun, and editor Yang Jinmo
• New program in regards to the New Korean Cinema motion that includes Bong and filmmaker Park Chan Wook (Oldboy)
• Cannes Movie Competition press convention from 2019 that includes Bong and members of the forged
• Grasp class that includes Bong from the 2019 Lumière Competition in Lyon, France
• Storyboard comparability
• PLUS: An essay by critic Inkoo Kang
2019 • 131 minutes • Coloration • Dolby Atmos/5.1 encompass • In Korean with English subtitles • 2.39:1 facet ratio
The Criterion version of Parasite is out there for buy now.